Want to hem your sequin dress and don’t know how to go about it? This article will tell you a simple way to hem your most loved sequin dress.
Hemming is basically a sewing technique to lock the edges of fabric together and prevent threads at the edges of the fabric from fraying. Ideally, hemming is done after the basic stitching of the fabric is done. The loose (fraying) ends that remain at the inner side of the stitched garment are hemmed. But, some fabrics have sequins on them. Sequins are the shiny, disc shaped beads used to decorate clothes, bags, jewelry, etc.
These beads are available in various shapes, sizes and colors. They add to the dress by giving it a sparkling look. There is a hole in the middle of the bead or even at the sides to sew it onto the fabric. Sequins add a festive look to the attire and can become the center of attention during any event. But hemming a sequin dress is a tough job. It is not to scare you, but to make you aware about the extra care to be taken while hemming your sequin dress. The following segments will make you aware of the difficulties in hemming a sequin dress and how to overcome them.
Why is it Difficult to Hem a Sequin Dress?
Though sequins add to the beauty of the dress, it brings up a set of problems when you try to hem the dress. If you are doing it without any guidance, it is more difficult. The sequins can obstruct the sewing process in hemming. If you are using a sewing machine, a sequin can even break the needle in the machine! The kind of sequins and their placement is also a very important point of concern when hemming. You need to make some adjustments in order to accommodate the sequins in the proper place.
Simple Method to Hem a Sequin Dress
In order to hem a beaded sequin dress, you need a sewing machine, matching threads and straight pins. Once you have these things with you, you can begin hemming your dress. You can remove the sequins when you buy the fabric. Get the fabric converted into a garment, hem it and then add the sequins at the end.
If you don’t want to remove the beads or the sequins beforehand, you will have to make the following adjustments.
- Wear the dress to get the idea of the exact portion to be hemmed and pin that area.
- Pinning will require concentration and help. Stand on a chair and ask another person to insert pins where you want the hem to be.
- Care should be taken that the pins are inserted in a straight line. For that you can do half of the pinning while wearing the dress and half of it after taking it off.
- Use a flat and stable surface to complete the pinning.
- Now you are supposed to fold the hem based part and at this point, make an adjustment to accommodate the beads.
- Since you have beads, you need to have a double fold of the hem based part. The double fold will put the beads inside the fabric and lock them there.
- Now, when you sew the hem, the beads won’t come in the middle and obstruct your sewing.
- Sew the hem around ½ to 1 inch above the bottom of the fold. You will have to pull the fabric very slowly to avoid pulling or tearing of the sequin fabric.
Thus, using the above suggested ways, you can hem your sequin dress on your own without spoiling it. You can even hem pants by following similar guidelines. And, it’s always good to seek a second person’s help to do the hemming efficiently.