Hypoallergenic earrings are made of, titanium, etc. They are not very expensive and are readily available in almost all jewelry stores. If you face problems finding them in your local store, check on the Internet as there are many online stores selling these earrings.
Do you experience itching, swelling, and pain when you wear certain types of earrings, especially those that are made of inexpensive metal? If yes, you are one of the many people who have sensitive earlobes. Don’t worry, now you can wear earrings made of wood, plastic, silver, and gold that will suit your ears. Read further to explore interesting options.
Ear piercing is said to be the most common type of body piercing. Women love to shop for different types of accessories to adorn their ears. However, many women have sensitive earlobes and develop allergic reactions to certain metals, especially jewelry made out of nickel. It is commonly present in stainless steel earrings, or the ones bought for cheap prices. Also, earrings made from alloys or a mixture of unalike metals can create problems as the moisture induced by sweat can cause an electrochemical reaction. Hence, it becomes difficult to find the perfect earrings that do not cause any kind of infection or pain. Nevertheless, there is good news for people with such problems. Now you can find a variety of earrings that are specially made for sensitive earlobes. Let us look at the different options that you can choose from.
Many think that silver and gold earrings do not have many options when it comes to designs. However, this is not true, rather, you can find many innovative designs in these metals. Though they are expensive, it is profitable to invest in a few, if you find them suitable for your ears. When buying silver earrings, look out for good quality sterling silver or fine silver jewelry.
While buying gold, it is important to check what type of gold suits you. Some people get allergy from 10K, 14K, 18K gold, and white gold earrings as they contain a certain amount of nickel. Hence, it is advisable to use gold in its pure form i.e. 24K.
Aluminum, copper, palladium, and tungsten in their pure state are also good options for people with sensitive earlobes. It is also advisable to avoid cobalt earrings as they contain nickel.
Opt for earrings that are made from niobium, titanium, and platinum. Niobium is a metal that is used in surgical instruments, and many people with sensitive earlobes have reported that they do not develop an allergic reaction after wearing niobium earrings. Titanium earrings are hypoallergenic and inexpensive as well. However, some people may be sensitive towards titanium. Another option is to opt for elegant platinum earrings but they are quite expensive and not everyone can afford them.
One can also try magnetic earrings, which are a new type of earrings that can be found easily in the market or can be purchased online. Apart from being fashionable, magnetic jewelry help to relieve pain associated with arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc.
Plastic earrings are a good alternative for those with sensitive earlobes, if other kinds of jewelry do not suit them. Moreover, they are available in different colors and unique patterns that look really attractive. They also reduce the risk of an allergic reaction.
● Watch your ears after wearing new earrings. If you develop an allergic reaction, the symptoms, which usually start showing within 48 hours, include itching, redness, swelling of the affected area, etc.
● A hypersensitive reaction called allergic contact dermatitis can be caused because of the allergy.
● Mostly the reaction remains restricted to the ear but in few cases it may spread to the face and neck areas as well.
● Sweating may make the situation worse as the metal ions tend to spread and get absorbed in the skin, thus increasing the infection.
● Nickel dermatitis, which is an allergic reaction to nickel, can also cause psoriasis and eczema.
● Buy quality earrings from good stores.
● If you are getting your ears pierced for the first time ask your piercer to use stainless steel needle.
● Get the piercing done from an experienced professional.
● Wear pure metal earrings made of silver or gold, if you are piercing your ears for the first time.
● Small earrings, with screws and posts made of surgical steel, are best to prevent infections in infants.
● Wear lightweight earrings or clip-ons.
● Avoid wearing nickel earrings overnight.
● Try special sleeper earrings or stick-on earrings which you can wear round the clock.
● Buy hypoallergenic hooks for all your danglers.
● Remove the metal posts and fix plastic hooks or posts on them. You can also use hooks and posts made of surgical steel or wood.
● A quick but temporary solution is to put nail polish on the nickel posts.
● Recast the posts of your earrings in silver or gold.
● Utilize plastic post sleeves and sheaths before wearing earrings.
● Get your jewelry plated in non-allergenic metals before using them.
● Use steamers, purifiers, or warm water on earrings to get rid of the bacteria.
● Change your earrings regularly to avoid problems.
Some people suggest that applying alcohol and polysporin on the earlobes can also lessen the chances of an infection. However, it does not work for all. Hence, it is necessary to take extra care of your ear piercings as well as your earrings to minimize the risk of allergic reactions.