Your new mantra for this winter should be to stay warm and look chic. And the best way to do that is by investing in trendy coats. But, before you go buy a brand new coat, it is best to know which styles and patterns are in vogue.
This year, coat designs are more on the flamboyant side with a bolder and brighter color palette. Although you should own coats in basic colors like tan, brown and black, a burgundy or electric-blue colored coat can instantly jazz up an evening dress.
The fashion trends this season clearly point towards more voluminous silhouette in coats with a focus on embellishments. You can choose from collarless coats in colors like midnight blue, charcoal and gray to pea coats trimmed with faux fur. If you are looking for something more fancy to wear for a party, then choose coats made of brocade and jacquard fabric with subtle shimmer.
Trendiest Winter Coats for Women
A must-have coat this season is the collarless coat. It has a very preppy and vintage look that goes well with a lot of outfits. A collarless coat in a neutral color like beige or tan works well for daytime. For evenings, opt for a more vibrant color like ruby red or a funky yellow.How to Style it
- Wear this versatile coat with a plaid shirt, skinny jeans and ballet flats for a casual look.
- For evenings, you can dress it up with a frilly dress, skinny belt and booties.
- A solid-colored clutch and statement earrings will complete your look.
The cape coat is fun and comfortable and it embodies the spirit of casual wear. A short cape is preferable as it looks modern and chic. A beautiful cape in tweed or wool would look stunning when paired with skinny jeans and cigarette pants. Cape coats with faux fur detailing, oversized collars and sheepskin collars are very much in trend this season.How to Style it
- Since cape coats are so voluminous, it is best paired with sleeker apparel like skinny jeans, pencil skirts and fitted dresses for balance and proportion.
- An ankle-length pair of booties and a chunky bracelet will complete your look.
If winters in your region is quite severe, then you need a coat that is heavy enough to keep you warm even in the most freezing weather. A parka works well in such climates. A parka which is knee-length and comes with a hood will not just keep you warm, but is trendy as well. This season, invest in a military-style parka in a color such as olive or taupe.How to Style it
- Since parkas tend to be billowy and voluminous, the best way to style it is by clinching it on the waist with a skinny belt.
- Pair parkas with streamlined cropped trousers and platform heels.
- Long pendant chains and stud earrings are best way to accessories this look.
Car coats have a vintage appeal and its A-line structure with its flat front is ideal for curvier women who have issues with their hips and thighs. This stylish coats comes in mid-thigh length and knee-length styles. Car coats are ideal to wear with evening dresses as it is not too heavy and bulky.How to Style it
- Wear a car coat with a full-length evening dress or a knee-length dress.
- Accessorize it with a pair of stilettos and a metallic clutch for evenings for a glamorous look.
- In the daytime a car coat can be worn with jeans or trousers with ballet flats.
Want to make a dramatic entrance at the next party? Then why not opt for an opera coat. Opera coats are stylish, chic and very elegant. Traditionally, opera coats were full-length floor grazing coats that were crafted out of luxurious fabric such as velvet, brocade or jacquard. Nowadays, these coats are usually knee-length or ankle-length and are made in shimmery fabrics like damask and jacquard. It is usually lined with satin for an opulent look.How to Style it
- This type of coat is well-suited for formal events.
- An opera coat is best worn with an evening gown, paired with strappy sandals.
- Accessorize it with chandelier earrings and a sequined clutch.
Many women are concerned that heavy coats and jackets makes them look bulky. Here belted coats comes to the rescue. A belted coat clinches the waist to create some curves. It is one of the most trendiest coats this season and the best styles are the embellished ones that comes with leather trim and fringes at the bottom.How to Style it
- Wear this coat with a pair of slim-fit jeans in a dark color and a simple button-down shirt.
- Accessorize it with patent heels in a solid color.
- For evenings, you can wear this kind of coat with a ruffled dress or top.
For the fashion-conscious, there is nothing more trendy then a sequined jacket or blazer. It might look over-the-top, but with the right styling it can look absolutely divine. The challenge here is to choose the right kind of sequined jacket. You can choose a black sequined jacket which is hip-length or you can opt for a dull gold version in a cropped length.How to Style it
- Wear a sequined jacket with a white shirt and cropped trousers in a bright color.
- The best way to accessorize this look is with a beige clutch and a pair of beige flats.
- You can also wear a sequined blazer with a black dress for a very glamorous look.
Trendiest Winter Coats for Men
Another emerging trend in men's outerwear is the pea coat. A pea coat is a short, hip-length jacket which is double-breasted with broad lapels. These jackets are made in wool and wool blends, as well as tweeds. A pea coat in a dark solid color like charcoal gray, navy or olive makes a very good investment.How to Style it
- One of the best ways to style a pea coat is with rugged jeans and boots.
- A pair of aviators will complete the look.
- For evenings, you can style it up by wearing a plaid or cashmere scarf.
- Make sure that you tuck the ends of scarf inside the jacket for a clean look.
Aviator coats are usually waist-length and made of leather. For colder climates, you can opt for a aviator jacket which is lined with shearling. Brown and black jackets looks the best as these neutral colors are easier to style. An aviator jacket is a timeless classic that never goes out of style. How to Style it
- This type of coat is great as casual wear and it is best paired with faded denims and cowboy boots.
- You can also wear it with a pair of chinos and T-shirt.
- An aviator jacket in a slim-fit can be worn with dark jeans, shirt and a tie for a polished look.
If you are a fan of the preppy look, then you should definitely have a duffle coat in your wardrobe. The main characteristic of a duffle coat is the toggle fastenings. It is a knee-length coat and is usually made of wool fleece.How to Style it
- The ruggedness of the duffle coat is best accentuated with a pair of jeans and boots.
- For a city-chic look, wear a duffle coat with a cashmere scarf.
If you are looking for an outdoorsy rugged coat, then opt for a tweed coat. Tweed coats have made a comeback and the new avatar is stylish and sophisticated. Tweed coats in mid-thigh length are the most flattering and they are incredibly durable too.How to Style it
- Wear a tweed coat with formal trousers and a shirt.
- You can pair it with oxford loafers or monk-strap shoes.
Since coats are expensive, choose a style that looks good on you. With so many trendy styles, it will not be difficult to find one that suits you, and also your budget.