Scale it Well
When buying animal print leggings, ensure that you buy them with prints that are in the right size for your body type. Petite women should opt for print patterns that are the same size or smaller than their fist, and larger women should opt for prints that are smaller than the span of their hand.
Animal print. It scares some, it leaves some breathless, and there are still others who are left thoughtful. We'll be honest. It takes gumption to wear animal prints. It's not for the mild. And it's definitely not for someone who likes to play it safe. It's a sartorial risk that can backfire quite badly if done wrong. It will definitely not work out. But to paraphrase Peter McWilliams (though in the wrong context), "Ah, but what if it does." Well, then ladies, you have a winner of a look in your kitty (pun unintended), and it is one you should not let go of.
How to Wear Animal-inspired Leggings
Well, first things first. Yes ... okay ... given that animal print (more so leopard print) is being heralded as the new neutral. It is being given more than its 15 minutes of fame, and it has access unlimited in every must-have-in-your-wardrobe lists this season. But it's also a trend that needs to be worn carefully, especially when you are wearing animal print leggings. We give you some tips that will help you wear these bottoms well, and with panache. Here's what you need to remember.
- The first and most important thing to keep in mind when wearing animal print leggings (or any leggings for that matter) is that they aren't pants. So come what may, always wear a longish top with your leggings, like a tunic, a dress, or a long tank top with a jacket on top; whatever your option, ensure it covers your bottom.
- Let's face it! Animal prints are a pretty bold option. While accessories in these prints can be teamed with pretty much any color, animal print leggings should ideally be teamed with a basic hue, unless of course, you are confident that you'll pull the color off and leave everyone speechless.
- Patterned leggings, especially those that are animal-inspired, tend to create a stodgy look. Therefore, it is important that you create an illusion of long legs by wearing heels or wedges. Flats can look great with cropped leggings.
- Try to stick to simple, slimming silhouettes that give you a sleek look so as to flatter the boldness that is an inherent trait of the leggings you wear.
- With these prints, less is always more. So, try to curb the tendency to go all matchy-matchy and wear similarly-patterned accessories with your leggings. Keep it basic and elegant. You need a certain amount of balance with loud, visually-heavy prints. Try to keep the look aesthetic at all times.
- The one thing that you necessarily need to carry with you when wearing animal prints is confidence. The I-look-great-and-I-know-it feeling that you exude should do more for your look than any accessory ever will.
7 Amazing Ways to Wear Animal Print Leggings
Now that you know what you need to remember when wearing animal-pattern-inspired leggings, here is some inspiration to get you started and reach out to your inner animal.
Colored leopard print leggings, a studded black top, and military-inspired ankle-high boots; it's the perfect look for someone willing to make a pretty bold statement.
Is pretty and elegant more your style? A feminine white top and a pair of open-toed slingbacks in the same color can make even the boldest of leopard prints seem dainty.
You can't go wrong with teaming printed leggings with a top in the same color family. Give it a little zing by adding a bit of glitz in the form of sequins. Don't forget a matching pair of wedges.
Go all out and wear your leggings with a top in a bright, blood red. Add a pair of matching pumps, and you will be ready to conquer everything that comes your way.
The tomboy in you shouting out? Well, respond to the call with blue oversized tee, a black vest, and lace-up boots. Accessorize with some Gothic jewelry.
If you are a path-breaking fashion diva, then opt to make multiple fashion statements at once. Animal prints? Check. Color blocking? Check. Ready to take on the world? Check.
It's a little bright, but it's a time-tested combination that really works. Wear your zebra-print leggings with a fuschia top and boots for a look that is vivacious, feminine, and outstanding, all at once.
There you have it―seven looks that will inspire anyone who wants to don animal print leggings but was unsure how. With the right separates these printed leggings can look not only hot but even elegant. The days when they were considered downright tacky have been left behind and how. Isn't it time you catch up?