The world has become so conscious about conserving our environment that the government of all countries as well as people on individual basis are trying to find a way out to deal with this major issue. Making everything eco friendly has become the ultimate goal of everybody. Efforts are taken to make use of environment-friendly material to produce books, bags, clothes and all other daily usage items. Clothing, amongst all the described productions, is used on a large scale and it has a never-ending production value. Hence, we have a large scope for bringing in the eco friendliness factor in this area. You can make out that something is eco friendly, by scanning through the tags that are attached to the product. Government has made a unique logo on which you will often find the term "eco friendly" written on the tag, if the product is rightly so.
Eco friendly clothing, in a broad sense, means green clothing. But what is meant by green clothing? Many manufacturers these days are focusing on the use of natural and recycled fibers like plastic in their production of organic textiles. They avoid use of chemicals and dyes which are harmful for the environment. Following are some types of fabrics preferred, which fall under the eco friendly bracket.
Preferable Fabrics for Eco Friendly Clothing
The types of fabrics play an important role in eco friendly clothing.
It is opposed to conventional cotton. Conventional cotton is produced using large amount of chemicals, pesticides, herbicides and insecticides whereas organic cotton is produced without using such harmful chemicals. Use of organic cotton on a large scale can be beneficial because it covers major part of textile production.
It is regarded as the best fabric, even better than wool and organic cotton. It is produced from fibers of herbaceous plant and does not require pesticides or herbicides at all. It is a tough material yet light to wear and does not cause skin irritation, since it is hypoallergenic. Its cultivation period is just about 100 days, which is really fast. It also protects you from harmful UV rays of the sun.
All the above-mentioned types of fabrics are highly comfortable. You would not have to compromise with the level of comfort and style, since you are buying eco friendly clothing. The designers are taking extra efforts to bring in the garments that are made of eco friendly fabric. They know that people will buy eco friendly clothes if they are easily accessible and are designed according to the current trend.
Tips for Shopping Eco Friendly Clothes
- Look for stores that have exclusive eco friendly garment sections.
- Check the composition of the fabric for use of organic, natural and recycled fibers.
- Try to buy green colored clothes.
- You can get best eco friendly garments during sale.
Something More to Do:
- Firstly, buy high-quality clothes that will last longer instead of buying fancy and cheap ones. To know whether the fabric and the stitching is sturdy, give a tug to the garment.
- Participate in a recycling program where some manufacturers collect worn out clothes and rebuild them into new garments.
- Avoid buying clothes which are made using chemical dyes because, these dyes release toxins into the air during production. Instead, you can use natural dyes either made at home or those that are available in market.
- Lastly, install energy-efficient appliances to save electricity and money.
With this, I feel I have done my bit by encouraging you in buying eco friendly stuff to save mother nature. You can also motivate people around you to buy eco friendly clothes. Shop green, wear green, feel green!