Many women like wearing maxi dresses as it gives them the comfort as well as the style they need. These are a fashion essential and a must have item in any fashionista's wardrobe. They are incredibly versatile and many celebrities like Nicole Ritchie, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, and Katie Holmes are seen in them.
Some women wrongly think that such dresses will not suit them because they are too petite or because they are on the healthier side. But the fact is that with the right cut and silhouette, anybody can rock a maxi dress and look like a diva.
The best thing about maxi dress of women's clothing is that they are suitable for everyone, whatever the body type may be. Whether you are tall or short, slim or overweight, a maxi dress will flatter any figure, provided you choose the right one. It is one of the most flattering styles for larger women as it is ideal for hiding wide hips and big tummies.
- If you are busty, then skip bandeau style necklines and instead opt for halter styles with thick straps or V necks.
- Opt for solid and dark colors like black, green, and electric blue, and choose a cut that is not too voluminous at the bottom. The best silhouette in maxi dresses for larger women is a dress that has an A-line skirt and does not cling too much to your body. It should just skim your curves without looking boxy.
- If you are a petite women and want to know how to wear a maxi dress, take inspiration from Sarah Jessica Parker. She is only 5 feet 4 inches but looks glamorous and stylish in a maxi dress. The trick here is to choose one that has a slimmer cut that sits more closely to your body. Petite women look stunning in strapless maxi dresses as it allows them to show off some skin.
- If you want to know how to wear maxi dress to work, here is a great way. Choose a style that is not too baggy at the bottom and stick to single solid colors like lime green, jewel tones like sea green, cobalt blue, and deep wine colors. These colors are suitable for all skin tones and do not make the mistake of wearing bohemian style prints to office.
- For those women who are shy of showing their shoulders and arms and want to know how to wear maxi dress with a cardigan, here is a way to do so without looking frumpy. Choose a cardigan in a contrasting color to that of your maxi dress. The cardigan should be long and loose and strictly avoid buttoning up the cardigan.
- Do you have to attend a summer wedding on the beach then your best bet is a maxi dress. Choose a maxi dress that is in a soft floaty and feminine fabric like chiffon, silk or organza. Avoid cotton/cotton blends as they simply don't suit a wedding. Opt for bold colors like eggplant, fuchsia, emerald green, and pair them with satin peep toes.
- A maxi dress can be worn in summers and in winters too. Opt for a short bolero jacket that ends just above your waist to give you a biker chick appeal. This makes you look hot but keeps out the winter chill. Wear a pair of suede booties or calf-high boots and wear chunky pieces of jewelry.
- Accessories can make or break your look, so choose them with care. The accessories to pair with maxi dresses are gold bracelets or thin gold bangles and huge jeweled cocktail rings.
- Shoes that go well with it are gladiator sandals, slingbacks in heels, flip flops, and booties. If you are short, prefer high heels and stilettos or peep toed heels in satin.
In summers, the best suggestion would be to go for a one shouldered maxi dress in a citrusy color like orange, yellow, or lime green. Alternatively, try a color block tiered maxi dress.