When you go to a shoe store to buy shoes, it becomes essential to know your shoe size so that you do not end up by the incorrect pair. If you buy shoes larger than your foot, wearing them is not possible and even if you do, walking in them is sure to be a nightmare. Also, shoes that are smaller than normal size tend to get tight on your foot, and you will not feel comfortable wearing them.
Measuring Your Shoe Size with Ruler
- It is important to collect all materials you will be needing for your job. You will require a blank piece of paper, sticky tape, pencil or pen, and a ruler. You can also keep a tape measure with you, in case you are not comfortable using a ruler. Also ensure that the piece of paper is bigger in size than your feet.
- Keep the blank piece of paper on the floor, and press it over with your hands so that it becomes smooth. To make sure the paper stays fixed in this position, tape it to the floor from all four corners.
- Remove your shoes. It is important you keep your socks on while measuring your shoe size, as you would obviously wear shoes with socks. This will help you get an even accurate measurement. Place your foot firmly on the paper, and your shin should be a little ahead of your ankle. Your toes should not be curled. Keep a pencil or a pen nearby before you step on the paper, as you would require it shortly.
- Now pick up a pencil or pen, and trace an outline of your foot on the paper while standing in the same position. Hold your pencil or pen straight up and tight when you draw the outline. In case you are not comfortable doing this yourself, take help from someone. Take this foot back, and follow the same procedure with your other foot.
- Once you have the outline of both your feet, take out tapes from all corners and remove the paper. Take this paper, and keep it on a table for you to work on it further.
- You will have to first measure the length of your foot, which is the distance between the heel and tip of your toe. Keep the ruler between your toe tip and heels to draw a straight line from top to bottom. Note down this measurement on a piece of paper. To measure the width of your foot, place your ruler between the two side ends of your foot, and draw a straight line at the place where this distance is maximum. Note down this measurement.
- Repeat the above step to measure the length and breath of your other foot. There may be a slight difference in measurement of both the feet. In such case, take the larger measurement as your shoe size.
- Once you have the measurement of your feet, you can easily get your shoe size from the websites online. To help you with this, a table is provided below that will give you your shoe size depending on your foot measurement.
This chart will help you with measuring your shoe size once you have your foot measurement:
|Measurement (Inches)||Men Shoe Size in USA/Canada|
Tips and Warnings
- Whenever your shoe size lies in between two sizes, you should always go with the larger one while picking up shoes.
- In case you are measuring for children, you will have to keep doing it every time before buying shoes, as their size keeps increasing very fast.
- If you are not being able to draw the outline of your foot, just mark out the end points at your heel and toe line for the length, and the most distant points on the sides for the width. Then take measurement, and continue with the procedure.
- You can use a measuring tape as well instead of a ruler to measure your shoe size.
- It is observed that shoes of different brand manufacturers have slight variations when it comes to sizes. Hence, you should always wear and check shoes before buying.