Among celebs, most often spotted wearing colored jeans is actress and mom, Jessica Alba. Her wardrobe includes jeans in colors like mint green, salmon, pale rose, hot pink, and red, among others. If that's not enough encouragement, nothing will be!
Colored jeans! The mere mention of these two words can send a shiver down the spine of most women. Yes, colored jeans are not those throw-on-when-you-can't-think-of-anything-else-to-wear clothes. Wearing them is not everyone's (for lack of a better word) forté. The whole outfit needs to be coordinated, matched, or mismatched purposefully to result in something splendid. That being said, it's not rocket science either. All you need to know are the basics of wearing this wonderful piece of clothing which is so in vogue now; it's kind of irreverent to the world of fashion if you don't own one. Let's check out a bunch of tips that will help drive all your 'colored jeans fears' far, far away!
How to Wear Colored Jeans
Before we take a look at the ways in which you can stylishly wear a pair of colored jeans, let's just pay heed to some pointers.
- It's not (entirely) true that pastels will make your behind look like the size of the Earth. So, if pastels are what you like, go for them! If you're still not convinced, opt for darker shades in the pastel palette.
- When in doubt, pair bright jeans with a neutral. Black, white, gray, cream, and tan, are neutrals that can be pulled off with (almost) any bright color. So, make sure you have some basic tees and shirts for those days when you're pressed for time and need to dash.
- It is a gross misconception that colored jeans are to be worn only by the skinny and petite! People spreading this kind of unsavory fashion advice have obviously never seen Drew Barrymore rocking a pair of colored denims! There is a style for every body shape. It's just a matter of finding the right fit in the right color or shade.
- The key to a properly executed look, when colored jeans are in the picture, is accessories. Don't be shy when it comes to accessorizing these bright pants. The right accessories can work wonders in taking unnecessary drama off the brightness.
- There's no hard-and-fast rule as far as footwear with colored jeans is concerned. Take a cue from the season's trends, and dress up your feet accordingly.
Fashion Level - Diva
What better for you than a shimmery top and contrasting accessories! Take it up a notch with a pair of high heels to match the accessories.
Fashion Level - Adventurous
Two words―color blocking! For the free-spirited fashionista, combining two solid colors is the way to wear colored jeans.
Fashion Level - Cautious
The Duchess of Cambridge is one of the best illustrations of combining a pair of bright jeans with an appropriately toned top. Follow her lead.
Fashion Level - Propah
Don't want to seem to chirpy, but don't wanna come across as someone with a stick up her behind either? Play with patterns to complement those colored denims.
Fashion Level - Comfortable
For the girl who's all about being comfortable while she's fashionable à la Emma Stone, throw on a jacket over a contrasting tee (with matching accessories, duh!) and you're good to go.
Fashion Level - Girly
The perfect option for someone looking to use colored jeans while not having an overbearing or gaudy appearance is to team it with a girly top and play matchy-matchy with accessories.
Fashion Level - Preppy
For the girl who's aiming to look all grown-up but does not wanna give up on those oh-so-funky colored denims, a stylish preppy-inspired shirt and a stylish wrist watch are must-have accessories.
The only reason you would not want to get with this style is if you simply cannot find your dream jeans (fit and style) in the color you want. We have a solution for that as well: buy regular denims and have them dyed. Any more excuses?