Leather is now a symbol of luxury and fashion, and it has carved a niche for itself in the fashion industry. Leather goods are being manufactured by most leading brands; leather is used to adorn the body, to upholster furniture, and even in jewelry. It is no longer restricted to jackets, coats, boots, belts and such other products.
Leather goods have scored a high point in the lives of people because of the durability factor. Besides, these are very high on the glam quotient, which is probably why most fashionistas find it compulsory to have at least one branded leather jacket, or a pair of stylish black leather boots in their wardrobe.
Apart from fashion, leather apparel was also used as a protective measure from the winter chill. Most hardcore bikers found themselves incomplete without a leather jacket to battle the winter season. Nowadays, various techniques are used by the designers which makes the leather lighter, and thus, easier to adorn; this can be seen in the use of beautiful textures, finishes, and colors in such products.
Apart from apparel, leather is also used to craft durable upholstery available in a variety of designs, suitable for both home and office use. Investing in leather upholstery can be an expensive affair, but these are also known to easily withstand the wear and tear of regular use, ultimately giving better value for money.
Leather products basically include a wide range of goods, such as skirts, coats, hot pants, halters, bags, upholstery, trench coats, and many other gift items. Their popularity lies in the fact that these products definitely have a stylish appeal to them.
Things You Need to Consider Before Buying Leather Products
- Consider the look and the feel of the product. The natural tendency of most people is to touch the material when they see the product. There is a general saying as far as leather products go―'The softer the hand, the higher the cost'. This simply means that the softer the leather feels to the hand, the higher the price.
- Most stores may often have many misleading signs that claim to have 'genuine leather products' and offer great discounts. These may be products that are a blend of vinyl or PVC. Ensure that you go to a reputed shop, preferably one that sells only leather goods.
- Generally cows are one of the animals whose hides are used for products such as coats and wallets. But there are some stores that display products which use alligator or snake skin. Always ensure the products are not manufactured using illegal skin and hide. Try to know the authenticity of the manufacturers, and look for companies who do not use animals that are only killed for their hide.
- There are many companies that sell synthetic blends of leather products to lower their production cost. Synthetic leather products are known to cause ecological damage, as most of them are not biodegradable.
- There are several factors that affect the overall appearance of the leather. This would depend upon the tanning process and the quality of the hide used. Real and genuine leather resists abrasion. Imitation leather, on the other hand, has the surface embossed and colored to create the look of genuine leather. Look at the overall texture of the product.
- Although these goods look ultra stylish and are very tempting to own, always remember that you need to treat it like your own skin. You will need to pamper your leather goods with tender loving care. Look for specific leather cleaners that are available easily before buying anything expensive.
Some of the many advantages of owning leather goods are that it can stretch, and therefore, fit you perfectly. Leather is also breathable, does not retain moisture, and can resist wear and tear and extreme weather conditions. To avail all these benefits, make sure that the product you buy is genuine leather, and of good quality.